Thursday, December 10, 2009

Should I begin ballet?

I have several issues regarding the subject:



I'm a young teenager. (13-15 age group) and haven't taken dancing classes, only gymnastics



I'm 5'2" and 108 pounds(but my arms and legs are long, does that help with the sport at all?)



I'm also wondering if it would help with performance in theatre and such



I have always wanted to take dance, but if I start now, would I be too old or out of practice to keep up?



Should I begin ballet?say yes



It's never too late to start! Long limbs aren't a requirement for ballet, and as I've stated in other Dancing Answers, ballet can benefit individuals of any shape and size. I started ballet at 11 and was en pointe WAY too early with poor instruction. I busted my ankle and gave it up for 7 years because someone told me I'd never dance again. Finally, in college I took a few courses for fun, and I rediscovered my passion. 2 years later, I'm 21 and en pointe! I'm also 5'3 and around 137# with really strong and high arches, and my ankle has fully healed, though it's not QUITE as flexible as it used to be.



So, unless at 19 I was too young to start up again from the very beginning, you're right on track. You may not become a prima ballerina, but the friends you'll make and the skills you'll develop will remain with you for a lifetime.



I tried gymnastics in middle school after my ankle healed, and it actually lead me to cheerleading. I played volleyball and tennis in high school, so I know where you're coming from as far as being concerned about your build. Ballet thinned out my leg and arm muscles a lot, but I'm still just as strong and flexible as I was beforehand, if not, even more so!



Whatever you choose, good luck! I wish you the best!!!



Should I begin ballet?palace theatre opera theater



studying ballet is like purchasing health insurance. in a good ballet class, you'll experience how the body works -- the physics of movement, posture, clarity of line. it will help you be aware of shape and gesture, and how they affect what you express with your physicality in theatre and other forms of the performing arts. starting ballet as a teenager can be awkward, 'cause it can be hard to find a beginner teenage ballet class, but they are out there. begginer classes for adults are more common and most instructors don't mind making an exception for a younger student. if there are no teen/adult beginner classes, maybe some private lessons would be possible. OR you can just decide to bite the bullet and start with the 10 year olds!!! Hey, you're there for yourself, right?
I'm in the young teen range too and I started ballet when i was 11 and i thought that i staarted late but some of my friends are starting this year. just don't take a little girls beginners class you'll be just fine. It does help with theater and a lot of other things too! I would reccomend it even if you want to do other types of dance too. I take two ballet classes and 2 jazz, and i like them both, although, dancing isn't for every one! (and I am not empliyng that you will be a bad dancer or anything! so go for it!)
no youre definitely not too old! i started when i was 13 or 14 and there was actually a teen ballet class for beginers that were a little older. the next year when i went into the regular ballet classes i was about 3 or 4 years older than the rest of the girls but it was still fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Scooter